I asked Grok to give me some examples of false positives generated by Pangram. Sillily, it gave me Shy Girl , even though Mia Ballard has already said that a friend may have "edited" it with AI. But in some ways, it's even more fascinating that another example it gave me was The Serpent in the Grove . This story was the winning entry for the 2026 Commonwealth Short Story Prize. It's available to read for free on Granta.com , so I ran the first thousand words of it through Pangram. They came back as 100% AI-generated, with high confidence. Then I actually chose to read them, and I'm almost sorry I did. This is very purple prose — choked with metaphors, including ones that seem nonsensical: "Maybe it was a name; maybe rain took a shape and decided to keep it." "She had the kind of walking that made benches become men." "The girl smiled like sunrise over a sink." (Not in the first thousand words but honorably mentioned by Marlon James on...
Comments