I have finally finished Terror and Liberalism . It only took me ten days from the time that I bought it, and it was well worth it. I now know quite a lot more about the philosophy of Al Qaeda, although it is a fairly banal form of totalitarianism. But at least I understand our enemy more now than I did before I started reading the book.
Or do I? Paul Berman describes Al Qaeda as simply a pathological mass movement, which cannot be given a rational explanation. This leads one to the question of whether evil itself can be given a rational explanation. This question, however, only occurs to me because I know of a book that addresses it directly. I have seen it in the bookstore now many times, Evil in Modern Thought , by Susan Neiman. This, then, has become my book for this week, and I am currently reading it with avid interest.
I am already intrigued by her argument in the introduction. She begins by discussing the theist version of the problem of evil, which we all learned in fir...
Comments