More information required

I want to elaborate on my two moral conclusions drawn from the Friesian tradition in the previous section. However, in order to do that, I clearly will have to know much more about that tradition. Specifically, I need to know more about how the nature of a subject brings about rights for that subject:

Since beauty, sentient beings, and rational beings are all goods-in-themselves, this indicates how morality and ethics are actually embedded in aesthetics, the theory of goods-in-themselves, and gives us a clue about the source of moral duty: that some goods-in-themselves simply involve moral duties, perhaps of different types.

(Kelley L. Ross, Ph.D., "The Fallacies of Egoism and Altruism, and the Fundamental Principle of Morality")

The whole notion of a good-in-itself, and the duties and rights this entails, must be spelt out more. I might have to read all the rest of the essays on ethics on this website before I feel that it has been. This will be a question in the back of my mind as I read the other ethical essays on the website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosophy of Al Qaeda

Am I a reductive or non-reductive naturalist?

Actions Speak Louder Than Words