Aristotle's Metaphysics

I finished reading On Duties last night. Today, I have moved on to Aristotle's Metaphysics, so that I can properly cite Aristotle where he suggests that philosophical inquiries should start with aporias. The first two books will contain not only references to this effect, but also the adumbration of the way in which an aporia can provide a procedure for resolving that aporia. The puzzlement that a philosopher feels from the aporia drives her to examine the assumptions on which it is based, ultimately for the purposes of resolving that aporia. A sensitivity to aporia is therefore necessary not only for the success of philosophy, but also its very viability.1 I might find Aristotle's insights helpful to finding the way best to attack my own aporia from hypocrisy, therefore.

There's no doubt that this is an enormous project, and it won't be completed anytime soon. But given the task that you have set yourself, I do not see what else you can do.

1Oliver Ranner, "Plato and Aristotle on the Origin of Philosophy", Abstract.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosophy of Al Qaeda

Am I a reductive or non-reductive naturalist?

Rational Conlangs