Glad to be gone!

It amazes me that you would rather do all this work for yourself than just get a job as an academic.

I left university because I hated it:

  1. I didn't want to tutor.
  2. I didn't want to lecture.
  3. I didn't want to publish.
  4. I hated reading philosophy.
  5. I had no tolerance for disagreement.
  6. I was extremely thin-skinned to criticism.

I was angry and I was miserable and more often than not, my supervisor copped my attitude, which wasn't fair on him and which I regret. And I don't see that anything would change if I were to go back now. This is just a hobby to me, and I apply myself to it very intensively, but it will never be anything else than just a hobby. If I write a book from it, I write a book from it, but right now, it has the value that I actually want to do it, and I can guarantee you that most of the joy from it will disappear if I suddenly find that I have to do it because it's my job. Besides, if intuitions are experience-dependent, then I do myself a service by staying connected to the real world and staying out of the ivory tower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosophy of Al Qaeda

Am I a reductive or non-reductive naturalist?

Rational Conlangs