Henry Hazlitt, The Foundations of Morality, Chapter 18.

I performed a web search on "morality commensurability". The first appalling discovery was that there were only 583 websites containing those two words together. I was also quite unprepared to discover that whoever else types in those search words, even if they do not search for an exact phrase, will find my humble blog ranked first in the search!

This is consistent with the claim of my internal reviewer that he regarded my discussion of commensurability as a contribution to philosophy. I am now starting to see just what he meant. It is not as if nothing has been done in this important area, but obviously not nearly enough has been done, and it is still rich for study.

The second-ranking page in the search was Henry Hazlitt's The Foundations of Morality, Chapter 18, "The Problem of Value". Section 1, "The Value of Value", seems particularly relevant to my own concerns, and is giving me many thoughts in reading it, which I shall develop in the following sections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Philosophy of Al Qaeda

Am I a reductive or non-reductive naturalist?

Rational Conlangs